Monday 24 August 2009

a new Laptop Battery to substitute

I'm looking for a new Laptop Battery Hp Pavilion DV1000 battery(Hp dv1000 battery) to substitute my (very old) Acer Travelmate. I have a powerful desktop system in the office, so I'd use the laptop only when travelling. In fact, in the last months I started travelling a lot, going to Budapest visiting our customers at least once a week (6 hours of train back and forth) as well as spending at least one week in Italy every month (12 hours of train-airplane-train from Pecs, Hungary to Torino, Italy).


For these reasons, I'm more interested in portability than computing powerToshiba Laptop Battery. The crucial point is the battery life: I'd love to have a laptop which I could use for 12 hours without a recharge while travelling across Europe, but I know that this is a Laptop Battery dream.


Well, maybe it is not a dream anymore: according to the Dell website their new Latitude E6400 can achieve 19 hours (yes, 19 hours) of battery life with two 9-cells batteries (standard and additional). Of course I know that if they write 19 hours, they really mean 12 hours of real usage or so, but it is still amazing. I asked for a price quotation, and it seems that it is not that expensive Toshiba PA3399U-1BRS Battery (about 1.500 euro with a good configuration), making it an ideal candidate.


So, dear Lazyweb, do you have any experience with the Latitude E6400, especially with Debian? Do you have any suggestion for a laptop with a very (very) long battery life?

Well you wouldn't want to carry Hp Pavilion ZV6000 battery(Hp zv6000 battery) around more then two batteries at a time. Otherwise if size and weight wasn't a issue then you might as well bring a generator and a desktop tower. :)


The new Atom hybrid platforms should offer some very impressive batter life. I have a original EEPC and that was a bit Toshiba PA3084U-1BRS Battery disappointing with only about 2.5-3 hour battery life (as I expected when I bought the thing).


I was in the market for a travel laptop I'd take a strong look at the new Dell Inspiron 910.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-dells-eee-killer-to-ship-with-ubuntu-preinstalled.html


It's a Atom-based system with Toshiba PA3098U-1BRS Battery 8.9 inch screen and 1024x600 graphics. (the 800x480 graphics on my EEEPC is limiting, Hp Pavilion ZV5000 battery(Hp zv5000 battery) but with my old P3 Dell laptop 1024x768 is very usable with something like LXDE or a modified Gnome environment).


So if your a command line oriented guy with Emacs or Vim passions then 1024x600 is nearly perfect. It would be difficult though with a GUI-oriented IDE though.


And what I like is the fact that it ships with Linux by default; Ubuntu. I have a strong opinion that Linux on the desktop cannot happen without good OEM support. It simply takes to long to get Linux supported on new hardware without it. So when OEMs support Linux it makes sense for Linux users to support that Toshiba PA3331U-1BRS BatteryOEM's Linux products. Plus you have official support and you have issues with Compaq Presario X6000 battery ACPI or something fundamental like that you can bitch to the OEM and they are actually obligated to support you.


I don't know what the battery life is, but I suspect if Dell offers a 'large' battery and you get that in addition to a second battery, or one of those generic battery packs made for much larger notebooks then it shouldn't be difficult to get 12 hours of life from it. Smaller display, Atom processor, integrated graphics, solid state drive, etc. These things should contribute to efficient Toshiba PA3166U-1BRS Battery life. With some tweaking with powertop you'd probably be able to get some impressive Compaq Presario R3000 battery(Compaq r3000 battery) results.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment